Alright, folks – the time we’ve (I’ve) long awaited has finally come and it’s less than two weeks until the NBA season FINALLY kicks off, with some familiar faces coming back, but more faces that are gonna needa get adjusted to their new squads. There have been a lotta moves made already and a lotta moves just being pushed thru as we speak. Let’s take a look at the insanity that is the short free agency period:
The “Chris Paul to the Lakers” move has completely fallen apart and the Lakers shipped Lamar Kardashian out to Dallas along with a 2nd round pick for an almost $9 million trade exception and a protected first rounder. It was reported that Texans are excited to have Lamar, but the cattle ranchers in the area are concerned with how to handle Khloe once she touches down.
That’s not to say that CP3 is staying put in New Orleans because…he’s definitely on the move. And what woulda been a blockbuster had he gone to the hated Lakers could position the Lakers’ same town rival, the CLIPPERS submitted their proposal to the league to receive the All Star guard. In return, the New Orleans Hornets would receive Clippers up-and-coming star guard Eric Gordon, sickly looking German national team playing center Chris Kaman, second year forward Al-Farouq Aminu and Minnesota’s 1st round pick this coming year. Also mentioned was Clippers developing point guard Eric Bledsoe, but Clippers brass wanna continue to groom Bledsoe for another year or two and see how he learns the position. If this trade goes thru, imagine CP3 throwing half court lobs to Blake Griffin and single-handedly owning at least three spots on SportsCenter’s Top 10 the morning after a Clippers game. Frightening.
Orlando Magic centerpiece/Jesus spokesman Dwight Howard has demanded, yes demanded, a trade outta sunny Florida, citing his relationship with Magic GM Otis Smith. Dwight’s heated that he hasn’t been granted trade requests in the past and more upset that the Magic haven’t signed players HE wanted to play with. The Magic, in turn, have given him permission to speak with the Nets, Lakers, and Mavs – who don’t seem to have the trade bait necessary to pick up Howard at this point. It’ll be interesting regardless.
The Best of the Rest:
- Atlanta Hawks – Signed Tracy McGrady to a 1 year deal.
- Boston Celtics – Traded draft rights to Albert Miralles to MIL for Keyon Dooling and 2nd round pick. Signed Marques “SleepyFace” Daniels, rookie Greg Stiemsma (NBDL Def. Player of Year), and to 1 year deals. Signed draft pick E’Twaun Moore.
- Charlotte Bobcats – Signed 1st round pick Kemba Walker (G – UConn)
- Chicago Bulls – Signed draft pick Jimmy Butler (G/F – Marquette)
- Cleveland Cavs – Signed 1st round draft picks Kyrie Irving (G – Duke) and Tristan Thompson (F – Texas)
- Golden State Warriors – Waived Jeremy Lin (G – Harvard)
- Oklahoma City Thunder – Signed 1st round pick Reggie Jackson (G – Boston College)
Vince Carter (Suns), Gilbert Arenas (Magic), Brandon Roy (Blazers – medical retirement), Chauncey Billups (Knicks), Charlie Bell (Warriors – following DUI arrest and re-arrest for being drunk at DUI hearing), Richard Hamilton (Pistons)